PayPal

StatCounter

Saturday, March 13, 2021

SASKATOON 1992-1994

© MMXXI V.1.0.1
by Morley Evans

Grade School (kindergarten to Grade 8) was relatively good, except for my allergies and asthma. I didn't need to do anything to consistently achieve a B+ average. In Grade 8, I did a little work and achieved an A+ average. High school was a catastrophe for the following reasons.

1). My health was a disaster, thanks to doctors;
2). I was "streamed" into the loser classes at Sheldon Williams Collegiate (metalwork, woodwork, motor mechanics and drafting. The winners took Latin class;
3). Was going through puberty;
4). Was moved to Aden Bowman Collegiate in Saskatoon at Christmas in Grade 10;
5). Hadn't developed the study habits required because I didn't need them. I never had to do homework;
6). The television blared incessantly outside my bedroom, where I was supposed to study in both Regina and Saskatoon, making homework impossible.
7). No consideration was given. "Don't be selfish! Others have needs." 

WTF!

I was a write-off after high school. It was an utterly destructive experience. I would have to pick myself up and find my own way, more than once.

I'm not making excuses. God forbid anyone should be blamed for anything, even if they are to blame. "You can't blame others for your problems. You have to accept responsibility yourself." Thanks, mom and dad. I'm stating facts, just the facts.

This essay deals with my experience in Saskatoon.




My friends were essential during my unhappy time in Saskatoon. A few of my friends are remembered here. I thank them.

Our house was on Albert Avenue, one house north of Ruth Street E.

Laurie Currie

His father was Roy Currie. He was the station manager of CFQC, the most important radio and TV channel in Saskatoon. It was the CBC station to later become CTV.

His mother was a beautiful Dutch woman who met Roy in the Netherlands when the Canadian Army liberated the country in WW II. Roy had a "radio voice". Roy had been trained by Lorne Green (Everyone knew Lorne Green as Ben Cartright on the TV series "Bonanza").

They had a beautiful home kept immaculate by Laurie's mother and his maternal grandmother.
They were Roman Catholics. Laurie had gone to the RC boarding school in Munster, Saskatchewan, before high school in Saskatoon.

Laurie was a drummer. He would turn professional

The Currie family were Liberals. Pierre Eliot Trudeau's portrait was on the wall of a corner of their rumpus room in the basement. We were Conservatives. We didn't discuss politics.

Laurie had a younger sister and brother.

Their house was on the corner of York Avenue and Hilliard Street E.


Mark Lindblad

Mark's father was Grant "G.J." Lindblad. GJ owned and operated General Business Machines, which he created. He was an independent entrepreneur; GJ had one glass eye that he would take out to show us; GJ was his own man! GJ's house was full of exciting things. There was always a chessboard and playing cards in the living room and an actual vibraharp in the basement. GJ arranged to have uniforms manufactured when we were starting a rock band.

Unhappily, Mark's little sister was not well.

I rarely saw Mark's mother, Trudie. 

Mark had many interesting cousins. They would come to visit regularly. Mark was very good at chess and other games. He was a star at school, and Mark was popular with girls. After high school, Mark married Miss Saskatchewan Roughrider. Mark graduated with a BSc from the University of Saskatchewan. Mark inherited General Business Machines.

The family belonged to the Church of the Nazarene.

Their house was on Landsdowne Avenue across the lane from Laurie's house and a couple of blocks from mine.


Dave Freeman

Dave lived in a house across the lane from Laurie Currie. Dave was a solid citizen. His father worked at the Queen Elizabeth II power station.

Dave fit into the culture like it was made for him. Dave was big, healthy; got good marks; played on the high school football team; married his high school sweetheart.

Dave became a nuclear engineer and got a job with the Canadian nuclear power government bureaucracy.

Dave was unassuming and uncompetitive. He was never trying to prove how great he was.

I never met Dave's parents.

I didn't want to have what Dave had. I belong in his world.


Keith Magnuson

I was in some classes with Keith Magnuson, and he lived across the way on Clarence Avenue, but we didn't know each other. Keith kept to himself. He was quiet, polite, and well-behaved. Keith was focussed on professional hockey. He played for the Chicago Black Hawks of the NHL for ten years. Keith was killed in a car crash. The driver of the car Keith was in was convicted of DUI, causing death and went to jail.

Years later, I learned from my friend, Steve Mazurak, that Keith was his first cousin. Keith was Steve's mother's nephew, her sister's son.


Steve Molnar

Steve Molnar was a good guy. Steve was focussed on a football career and played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. We watched the NFL Championship game with Steve in Laurie Currie's rumpus room. Laurie's father was our host. Laurie's mom made snacks.


Dorothy L. Smith

Dorothy and her sister lived with their mother Edna, across the street from us. The Smiths were old friends of my parents. Dorothy was the smartest girl in high school. She went to Washington, DC, where she built a prosperous business associated with the pharmaceutical industry. Dorothy is a PharmD.

Ron Mallick

Ron was a Country and Western aficionado, like his father, who was an electrical contractor. After graduating from Aden Bowman, Ron joined his father's business. Surprisingly, both died of heart disease. Ron was only about 50 years old!

In 1964, a phone call from Regina would change my life.



No comments: