Friday, April 15, 2016


© MMXVI V.1.0.4
by Morley Evans


MARCH 1, 1976: After attending the PC Party leadership convention in Ottawa that elected Joe Clark as party leader, I was on an Air Canada flight from Toronto to Regina.

Shortly after takeoff, the passengers were offered drinks. I had a Scotch. Then they served snacks. I chose several balls of salmon. I was hungry and wolfed them down. As they started down my throat, I realized my mistake. NUTS! WALNUTS! Who would put nuts in salmon balls? Anaphylaxis started immediately. I was doomed. I called for a stewardess who moved me up to first class where I could spoil the flight of everyone who paid extra. The captain asked if there was a doctor on board. Unfortunately there was.

A youngish man in a suit appeared and took control. Doctors take control. It’s what they do. He identified himself as a psychiatrist. Oh, great, I silently sighedHe gave his card to the stewardess. The stewardess asked the doctor if they should land in Winnipeg and get me to a hospital. “No, that won’t be necessary,” the doctor replied. “It’s all in his head.”  I was defenseless. I continued to throw up every few minutes for three hours. My body was covered with big itchy giant hives. I was burning up. I had removed my suit jacket, vest, tie and shirt. I could breath only with difficulty. I took my pulse with my new Rolex watch: 200 BPM! The doctor returned to his seat somewhere at the back. Flying second class? Was this person really a doctor? No, he was really a two-bit quack but he had the authority of a real doctor. People did what he told them to do. Doctors like that.

No one came to see how I was after that. I was on my own. I had been sentenced to Hell.

When we landed in Regina, some EMS guys came onboard with a stretcher. They asked me what was wrong. I told them I needed Adrenalin®. The doctor reappeared to take charge. It’s what doctors do. Doctors take charge. Doctors are take-charge kind of guys. I was ENRAGED! I summoned all the energy I could muster. I unloaded twenty-nine years of medical abuse, pain and frustration onto that dumb bastard! Everyone was shocked. The doctor maintained a stoney face. I know words that would make a sailor blush. I can berate an idiot as well as a Parris Island drill sergeant. The ambulance took me to the Regina General Hospital. Ambulance drivers like to drive fast and play with the sireeen. Whoopee! What fun!

When I arrived at the Emergency Ward, I told the doctors I needed Adrenalin®. The doctors were reluctant to accept my diagnosis and treatment plan. I am not a doctor, after all. What do I know? When they asked, I told them who my doctor was: Dr. William Edward Harvie (WEH) “Bill” Alport, MD, one of Regina’s leading physicians. He probably told them, “It’s all in his head.” I lay on the gurney for two more hours before they gave me an injection of Adrenalin® AKA Epinephrine. (Doctors like to have as many names as possible for everything. It separates them from the peons.) They gave me too much. I convulsed. But I did start to improve immediately. My Rolex told me my pulse had been 200 BPM throughout. I had taken my pulse regularly between vomiting fits.

After over five hours I finally got some compassionate medical care in the ICU. I was a mass of swollen throbbing flesh. I had hoses and wires sticking out of me. Whenever I twitched a pretty young nurse appeared to see how I was. After several days, maybe a week, I was discharged to a ward where cold abuse resumed. When I saw my doctor, Dr. William Edward Harvie (WEH) “Bill” Alport, MD, after I was discharged from the Regina General Hospital, he was amused. My doctor told me, “It is all in your head.” He reluctantly gave me a prescription for a glass syringe and a vial of Adrenalin® when I asked him for something I could use in case of another emergency. Dr. William Edward Harvie (WEH) “Bill” Alport, MD, thought I was an amusing fellow. I was not amused. Harold Ast, our family pharmacist, looked at me suspiciously, as was his wont, when I had the prescription filled. He put it in a paper bag with a sniff. Why our family bought everything for fifty years from him and then from his son, Dean, at Hill Ave. Drugs is a mystery to me. Dope pushers do not reward loyalty.

Chances are that a pulse of 200 BPM for 5 hours is some sort of record. Olympic athletes don’t even do that. People usually die of heart failure under such a load. I didn’t die. My heart had to beat fast to keep me from dying when my blood pressure dropped through the floor. Most doctors think Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency, but not here in Regina, however.

Here in Regina, doctors are a law unto themselves. Canadian doctors have been completely immunized from the law since 1901. Few people know that. Few doctors know that. Only young lawyers who don't know the score think they can sue a doctor. The other lawyers know that the law was usurped by organized medicine long ago. This fact has not been advertised. I didn't know until I had had a few more hard lessons, but I now know the facts of life in Regina and in Canada. Doctors are above the law in the true north strong and free. Every Canadian should remember that the next time he or she goes to a doctor or sings O Canada.

Medical malpractice has ruined my life. I would have had a different life — almost certainly a better life — had I not spent 68 years overcoming what doctors in Regina have done to me. Malpractice is the elephant in the room that no one can see because they don't want to see. So who is responsible, doctors or the willfully ignorant public? Look in the mirror and you will see who is responsible for this atrocious situation.

Morley Evans
I look pretty good today at 68. No thanks to some doctors I have endured over the years. I would like to thank Dr. Reich (Calgary), Dr. Cenaiko (Wakaw), Dr. Buwembo (Regina) and Dr. Garcia (Regina) who saved me from the assaults on my person by evil doctors in Regina. There should be a law but there isn't one. Criminals are in charge.

I thank my sister who has generously supported me through difficult times. 

I thank God for my life. Someone up there has been watching over me. I didn't survive by myself through my own efforts alone.


1 comment:

David Smith said...

I read your article with great interest.

I was happy to read you now carry medicine in case of an
accidental exposure to nuts.

I assumed you also now own a medical alert bracelet.

My brother-in-law moved from Saskatchewan back to Alberta to get
the necessary medical care for his youngest son, because nothing
was available for him in the entire province.

In sum, to avoid any further medical issues perhaps now is a good
time to move to Alberta especially with depressed house prices.

For your information and consideration.
Regards, David Smith